![]() |
| Photo by William King
A few days after California Chrome arrived in New York, and 5 or 6 days after he had toyed with the field in the 2014 Preakness Stakes, I arose from my chair that particular morning and went outside. My view stretches over the mountain top and looks east towards Belmont Park about 3000 miles away. As I looked eastward at the "chestnut" sunrise with the "purple" silk like clouds perched above, I reflected upon the amazing journey this brilliant colt from California has taken us on this year. He is on the verge of becoming the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, the first Triple Crown winner ever bred in California, and the first Triple Crown winner to have beaten this large of a field in the Belmont Stakes. It's been a magnificent journey so far.
In March ,earlier this year, he caught the eye of my good friend and astute handicapper Capp'n Q, who loved him before the G2 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita. We discussed his bloodlines and found a bevy of superstars in his family tree giving us further evidence that this horse may be something special. When the 2014 Kentucky Derby rolled around a short time later it became very evident to this handicapper that it was quite likely that something very special was about to happen when he was the "underdog" "favorite." And it did, when California Chrome turned on the afterburners in deep stretch and pulled away by 5 lengths before "slowing" down and winning by 1 3/4 lengths easily. I thought about this upcoming Saturday.
He was an easy selection in the 2014 Preakness Stakes and got a chance to display his amazing tactical speed both out of the gate and down the stretch. It was a masterful ride and a brilliant run by the "polished" California Chrome in Maryland as he won again by 1 3/4 comfortable lengths. Again I thought of this Saturday. When I touched on the mental toughness, the look of a champion, and their unique post parade "dances" that shows the other horses who they have to beat if they want to win, I wasn't yet aware that I would be adding another name to the list of magnificent horses, but here we are. With 2 races down and 1 race to go, I've got my pen ready. I'm ready to crown a magnificent colt named California Chrome as one of horse racing's all time greats. In just a few days, barring something extraordinary, he will join his Great Great Grandfather, Seattle Slew, as a Triple Crown winner and a legend.
Thank you again for the beautiful "chestnut" sunrise mother nature. I've looked at the picture at the top of the page, and was in awe when I saw it in real life. It was magnificent, but I've looked at the amazing photo taken by Mike Kane, and after thorough analysis, I have to give this nod to the beautiful "chestnut" Triple Crown winner, California Chrome. When I look at the eyes of assistant trainer Alan Sherman, it appears that he is in awe as well. Sorry mother nature, but this time I have to put you behind Seattle Slew, Zenyatta, and California Chrome.
California Chrome & asst. trainer Alan Sherman Photo by Mike Kane |
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
2014 Belmont Stakes : A Triple Crown Triumph is California Chrome's Ultimate Destiny Dance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment