Thursday, May 29, 2014
2014 Belmont Stakes : What Did The Opossum Say To California Chrome?
Peter Opossum : Hey California Chrome...PSSSST...You have a minute?
California Chrome : Sure my friend. How you doing?
Peter Opossum : I just wanted to apologize for getting so close to you during your workout at Belmont
today.
California Chrome : No problem buddy. Hey, do you have any of those cookies my owners like to give me?
Peter Opossum : Sorry my friend. I might have an Oreo or something. Let me check....Nahhh.
California Chrome : That's okay. I only like this one kind. Mrs. Pasture's paddock cookies...yummy!
Peter Opossum : Nice...Maybe I'll swing by after you eat one and grab some crumbs.
California Chrome : Sure...I will have plenty very soon. They like to give them to me when I win.
Peter Opossum : That's why I crossed the track the other day. You see back in 1977 my great great
grandfather, who I was named after, saw your great great grandfather, Seattle Slew,
win the Triple Crown, and I wanted to see you up close and personal.
California Chrome : I appreciate that. Thank you very much. I love to run fast. Real fast.
Peter Opossum : I know you do. You have run very fast all year. You've won every race that you have ran
in this year. A perfect 5 for 5, including the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby, the Grade 1
Kentucky Derby, and your last race, the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes. In fact, you have
now beaten 50 horses this year in those 5 races.
California Chrome : Hmmm...I didn't know that. I just like to run fast and eat those paddock cookies. I love
my owners, my trainer, and of course Alan, Victor and Willie. They take care of me and
let me gallop around the track and when that happens I get to run fast, and then I get
those delicious cookies after the race.
Peter Opossum : Nice. Well all of the animals around the track think you are going to win the Belmont
Stakes and take the Triple Crown back to California with you. We're all pulling for you.
We don't believe the so called experts in the media who don't think you can win. We've
watched all your races. It seems like your friend Victor Espinoza has been saving your
energy all year just for this moment.
California Chrome : Indeed he has... I wanted to run faster in Kentucky, but Victor is very smart and
made me slow down at the end. Then I got to run very fast in Maryland.
Peter Opossum : You did run very fast and I am sure glad that you let me run with you today. It was an
honor, and a great memory for me. I will treasure it forever and hopefully one day my
offspring will get to run on the track with your offspring.
California Chrome : No problem friend. Hey...Have you got any of those Mrs. Pasture's paddock cookies?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment