![]() |
| California Chrome & Assistant Trainer Alan Sherman Photo by Mike Kane |
Because of the lighter field, the draw for post position is not nearly as much of a factor as it was in Louisville on the Wednesday before the run for the roses. There, where he landed the 5 post it really cemented him as the winner for me. He had so much, from a speed handicapping standpoint, going for him, then he drew one of the best posts possible for his speed, and his "close to the pace" style of running.
What he has accomplished this year is pretty amazing,Take a look at what he has done so far.
1-25-2014 Wins the 1 1/16 mile Cal Cup Derby at Santa Anita by 5 1/2 lengths in 1:43.1
3-8-2014 Wins the 1 1/16 mile Grade 2 San Felipe at Santa Anita by 7 1/4 lengths in 1:40.2
4-5-2014 Wins the 1 1/8 mile Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita by 5 1/4 lengths in 1:47.2
5-3-2014 Wins the 1 1/4 mile Grade 1 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs by 1 3/4 lengths in 2:03.3
4 wins in 4 starts by a combined total of 19.33 lengths for earnings of $2.34 million dollars.
And he has done it gearing down in deep stretch in each of these wins. I wonder what will happen when he gets asked to run for an entire stretch?
He is very polished. He looks like a star. He acts like a star. He runs like a star. He knows who he is and so do his handlers. Anything can happen in horse racing and sometimes does, but it's certainly hard to "imagine" any other choice than a "reality" based decision on who will be the best horse on Saturday. As a handicapper I always use "imagination" to envision how the race will transpire, and I will always use "reality" (what I read, what I see, what I hear, and what I know) when it comes time to invest. I do know one thing, and that is this : If any other runner wants to beat California Chrome on Saturday, they will have to bring their A+ game. Here is, the polished one, and the field that will try to upset the heavy favorite.
- California Chrome----------Art Sherman----------Victor Espinoza----------Lucky Pulpit
- Pablo Del Monte-----------Wesley Ward----------Jeffrey Sanchez---------Giant's Causeway
- Kid Cruz--------------------Linda Rice------------Julian Pimentel-----------Lemon Drop Kid
- Social Inclusion--------------Manny Azpurua-------Luis Contreras----------Pioneerof The Nile
- Ride On Curlin--------------William Gowan--------Joel Rosario-------------Curlin
- Dynamic Impact-------------Mark Casse-----------Miguel Mena------------Tiznow
- Bayern----------------------Bob Baffert------------Rosie Napravnik---------Offlee Wild
- Ring Weekend--------------Graham Motion--------Alan Garcia--------------Tapit
- Ria Antonio-----------------Tom Amoss------------To be announced--------Rockport Harbor
- General A Rod--------------Michael Maker---------To be announced--------Roman Ruler
That's the field for the 2014 Preakness Stakes. We'll be "polishing" the Intelligent Choice system waiting for the "Past Performances," and "imagining" what is going to happen as California Chrome's dance with destiny continues here in round 2.

No comments:
Post a Comment