Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snow, Ice, Wind, Roses and Santa Anita

All rights reserved
                                                                                                                                                                
     It was a crazy week for us here at Trifecta Billy. We endured a 5 day power outage after an incredible storm that hit our area. It snowed 6 inches, then freezing rain ended up bringing down numerous trees when these weather conditions were followed by high winds. The picture that you see above is of a rose bush in my front yard. The limbs, as you can see, are surrounded by the freezing rain. As I was sitting in my car trying to warm up I thought of the roses that I will soon see draped around the winner of the 2012 G1 Kentucky Derby a few short months from now. After I got my power back on I was able to watch some great racing at Santa Anita, and some news related to the upcoming 2012 G1 Kentucky Derby.

    I noticed a few unique things about the races last week. First I noticed that a couple of the trainers that I have been monitoring at Santa Anita had nice weeks, including one who is red hot and one master horseman who has started the meet slowly, but is beginning to display his usual winning ways. Vann Belvoir, a fast developing northwest based trainer, has made a huge splash in the southern Californian horse racing circuit. The former jockey is the son of long time northwest trainer Howard Belvoir. Though his father very seldom ventures south, Vann has had much success beginning last summer at Del Mar, and the success is continuing so far in 2012. Last week he won 2 races with his 5 starters, and though he has limited stock, we look for him to continue to win races.

      The other trainer I've been closely watching is renowned southern Californian training legend Mike Mitchell, who after becoming the all time leading trainer at Hollywood  Park last fall, has started 2012 quite slowly. His barn is beginning to show signs of heating up, and when that happens watch out. Mr. Mitchell can win races in huge bunches as he displayed last summer at Del Mar. Two weeks ago he won 4 races, and last week he put 3 more horses in the winners circle from 7 starters. He is a master at winning with horses who are coming off long layoffs, so look for horses who ran at the Del Mar meet last summer who are making their 2012 debuts at Santa Anita.
   
      I also noted last week that the Eclipse award winner Hansen, who won the G1 breeders cup juvenile last fall in wire to wire fashion by holding off the furious stretch run of heavily favored Union Rags, has begun his preparations for the upcoming G1 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Kentucky, by drilling 5 times at Gulfstream Park in Florida. On Sunday, in his latest work out, Hansen worked the 3rd fastest of 40 runners at 5 furlongs in a brisk 59:4 in preparation for the G3 Holy Bull to be run at 1 mile on January 29. Trainer Michael Maker seems to have his charge ready, willing and able for this race. Ramon Dominguez, who rode Hansen to his victory in the breeders cup, will once again be aboard this undefeated 3 year old colt out of Tapit as he embarks on his triple crown quest.

      I really like his chances in this prep race, and can hardly wait until Sunday to watch this champion kick off his 2012 run for the roses. Very few horses have followed a G1 breeders cup juvenile victory by winning the G1 Kentucky derby the following year, but I feel that Hansen has a very legitimate shot to replicate the feat. If he does, I will remember this Icy January rose, the promise of the warmth of spring and the possibility of another triple crown winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment